Tuesday, August 11, 2009

When The Moon Hits Your Eye Like A Big...

PIZZA PIE!!!

I had such a long day at work yesterday that all I wanted was comfort food to quell my hunger whilst enjoying the Food Network and a plethora of food blogs. I refuse to barrage my pizza with machismo by laying on a ton of meat (since all I ever eat is meat), so I decided to make two small vegetarian pizzas. I don't know about you, but I love the mild nutty flavor of baby arugula on my pizzas combined with gooey melted fresh mozzarella so I made a simple arugula and sweet red onion pizza to start. Being a huge fan of black truffles, I also had to concoct... a truffle pizza!

I stopped by my second home (*ahem* Whole Foods) on my way home to pick up their whole wheat pizza dough, (which, by the way, is the BEST whole wheat dough I've ever had), fresh mozzarella from their cheese and olive bar, a jar of truffles from the deli and cheese section, frolicked in the produce section, waved hi to my favorite butchers, and went home to play in my kitchen.

I'm no fan of tomato sauce because, especially when pizza parlors douse the entire pie with more sauce than cheese, so for my truffle pizza, I just thinned down some organic sun-dried tomato paste and squirt it on my pizza, then layered truffles on the crust, topped it with mozzarella, and threw on more truffles on top! DIVINE!!!

Arugula, fresh mozzarella, red onion, and chopped garlic on whole wheat




Truffle, fresh mozzarella, sun-dried tomato paste, arugula, and fresh cracked pepper whole wheat pizza



5 comments:

  1. I'm all about a meat pie but your veggie pie looks really good! And you take some of the most prettiest food pictures. So maybe you won't write a cookbook but maybe a food picture book. Call it "Are You Hungry Yet?" hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jesus Judy - So you came home from a long day at work, and whipped up pizza dough!?! And made pizza with sliced truffles?!? We are not worthy.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. CAB- I love meat pies too, but I had way too much meat over the weekend (aka A-Y-C-E Korean BBQ and tons of dim sum) so I thought I'd be nice to my waistline and put some veggies on my pizza!

    Kirk- OKAY! YOU CAUGHT ME. The whole wheat pizza dough is from... you guessed it... Whole Foods! They make some darn good dough!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Arugula, fresh mozzarella, red onion, and chopped garlic on whole wheat
    This is my favorite kind of pizza, Sometimes I'll put alittle bit of corn on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mommy! Glad you like it! Corn sounds like a good idea to add some sweetness :) I'll try that next time!

    ReplyDelete