Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Petrale Sole with Red Peppers, Fennel, Capers, and Lemon

I watched Julie & Julia this weekend and it was hilarious how much I can relate to the character, Julie Powell. I'm a confidential paper pusher by day, dreamer in the kitchen by night. Anyway, there's a scene in the movie where Julia Child and her husband were at a French restaurant and the waiter brings out her order of fish still hot in the pan, bubbling in rich butter. This is my tribute to the movie because I wanted to serve fish in a hot cast iron skillet. Can we say 'weirdo'?

Whole Foods had some Petrale Sole which I haven't had in a while, so I decided to make a delicate white fish. I grabbed some roasted red peppers and capers from the olive bar, a bulb of fennel, a lemon, and skipped back to my car in pure delight. Mmmm... buttery fish.

Well, turns out I only had a pat of butter left in my fridge so I tried to replay the sizzle of the fish from the movie instead. The result? A fabulous flakey fish, the pop of salt from the capers, and the massiter clenching punch of the sour were layered wonderfully. My waistline will thank me for not having butter tomorrow.




6 comments:

  1. Seafood! We love seafood. It looks very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou Mommy! :) I can make it for you when I go home this weekend! See you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great photos. love the fish against that black skillet grill. great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious with all those capers! Have a fun trip home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HeartBrainHands-- Thankyou so much for enjoying the photos and visiting! It makes me very happy and motivated that people are enjoying my work!

    CAB-- Thankyou, and thankyou! I'll definitely be bringing my camera home this time, so hopefully there's a ton of fun things to snap pictures of! Enjoy your weekend!!! Has the hubby's birthday gone by yet? Did you make the lamb?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! His b-day is in 2 weeks but he's hinting that he wants to go out for lobster. If that's the case, he's going to ruin all my plans. I'll just have to make it as a surprise for no reason at all if that's the case. ;)

    ReplyDelete